Ottawa Jewish Archives Employment Opportunity
Photographic Negatives Digitization Assistant
7 hours per week
Position: Casual; September 1, 2021 – February 23, 2022 (26 weeks)
Deadline: Friday, July 30th, 2021; 11:59pm
Location: 21 Nadolny Sachs Private, Ottawa, ON
About the Archives
Since 1969 the Archives has been collecting records that tell the story of Jewish community life in Ottawa from the 1890s to the current day, including materials produced by and about individuals, families, businesses, congregations, community organizations, and associations established and maintained by Ottawa’s Jewish community.
The Ottawa Jewish Archives (OJA) is seeking a motivated individual to assist with the digitization of our photographic negatives collection. The intern will work on digitizing a variety of acetate and nitrate negatives in order to ensure the collection is safe from deterioration. It will also aid in the accessibility of the collection. The intern will be responsible for digitizing negatives, accessioning, adding to our database, and rehousing into proper storage. The ideal candidate should have a passion for history and an interest in working in the archival/museum field. This is an in person position and requires the candidate to work at the Archives to complete the project. The archives is open Monday – Thursday.
• A basic understanding of archival practices and knowledge of the proper methods for handling archival materials.
• Experience working with archival/museum collections, preferably with photograph or photographic negatives collections.
• Experience with photography and Photoshop.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to prepare written reports.
• Ability to work independently without supervision.
• A passion for history.
• Familiarity with the history of the Jewish community of Ottawa is an asset.
• Valid Police background check required.
Educational requirements: High school diploma
Language requirements: English imperative. French, Yiddish, Hebrew are assets.
To Apply: Please send your resume to Teigan Goldsmith at email@example.com by July 30th, 11:59pm.
Qualifications: 0-2 years of experience.