Israel Connect began in 2013 as a grassroots network of volunteers in Canada who answered the call of Israeli educators to provide their students with English language tutoring. The results were dramatic: English proficiency among that first group of students quickly improved, and the demand for native English tutors became clear. Within two short years, the informal network grew into a global non-profit organization that has more than 1,000 volunteer mentors strong. Today, Israel Connect partners with the Israeli Ministry of Education to support hundreds of students in dozens of schools across the country.
Israel Connect pairs each mentor with a student who is eager to improve their English language skills. Our mentors dedicate 45 minutes each week to one-on-one video meetings using the Israel Connect curriculum. By the end of the school year, students have the skills and confidence they need to succeed in the national university entrance exams.
Do you enjoy teaching children and teens? Are you interested in developing connections with youth in Israel? Are you looking for a long-term volunteer commitment? Israel Connect is looking for engaging young adults and adults to tutor students in Israel.
Israel Connect pairs volunteer mentors in North America with students across Israel to improve their English proficiency, increase their access to higher education and put them on the path to economic mobility.
Israel Connect Mentors:
Once a week, from the comfort of their homes, Israel Connect mentors lead one-on-one video meetings focused on English conversation, reading comprehension and vocabulary development. Through our immersive online approach, mentors give students the skills — and the confidence — to prepare for Israel’s university entrance exams, which focus heavily on English proficiency, setting them up for future success.
Israel Connect mentors aren’t required to have a teaching or education background. We provide the training and curriculum, and our mentors share their passion for empowering young people in Israel.
• Let us know you’re interested by filling out this simple form
• Participate in an informational interview
• Share personal references and information for a background check
• Join our training session (45 minutes – 1 hour)
• Meet your mentee and kick off the school year!
• Be able to commit to weekly sessions of 45 minutes between the hours of 8am and 1pm EST for 25 to 30 weeks throughout the school year.
• To help cover our administrative costs, we ask that our mentors make a suggested donation of $18/month ($180/year).