Do you know an outstanding educator? Someone who meaningfully imparts the treasures of Jewish life and Judaism? Someone who has made a difference in the lives of Jewish students in Ottawa? Nominations are now being accepted for Ottawa’s Grinspoon Award for Excellence in Jewish Education.
Deadline April 15, 2019
This award highlights the value of Jewish education, in many forms, within our community. The award is not limited to classroom teaching and can include camp educators, independent Jewish educators, tutors, song leaders, and so on.
The only requirement is that the nominated educator must be involved with a group of Jewish students and/or Jewish learning community on a regular basis, imparting the treasures of Jewish life.
• Teachers in Jewish Preschools, Day Schools, and Supplementary Schools
• Leaders or teachers of Jewish adult education classes
• Leaders of Jewish education in camps and youth groups
• Teachers of higher education in universities and colleges
Nominees must demonstrate:
• Jewish education philosophy in practice, creative approaches to Jewish learning, or an outstanding commitment to their students
• How they are a role model
To nominate someone for this award
1) Nominators may be colleagues, students, parents, or supervisors that are very familiar with the educator’s art of teaching
2) Complete nominations online form or download a pdf that can be printed.
3) The nominee must complete the Educator Form that will be sent after nomination
4) All forms and required attachments must be submitted.
Selection Process & Award
A local selection committee consisting of representatives from Federation’s Board of Directors will select nominees from Ottawa. The final award winner will be selected by the Harold Grinspoon Foundation. The award winner will receive:
• Community gift of $500 from the Jewish Federation of Ottawa, plus a $500 award from the Harold Grinspoon Foundation
• Plaque from the Harold Grinspoon Foundation
• Local and national publicity and acknowledgment, in print and online
• Listing on the Harold Grinspoon Foundation website
• An invitation to participate in an online community of practice
For more information please contact Kara Goodwin at firstname.lastname@example.org
|2005||Chana Hayes||Cheder Rambam|
|2005||Deborah Teitelbaum||Torah Academy|
|2006||Rabbi Shmuel Dov Yarmush||Torah Academy|
|2007||Rabbi Yehuda Simes||Hillel Academy|
|2008||Shaya Rodal||Yitzhak Rabin High|
|2009||Rabbi Howard Finkelstein||Yitzhak Rabin High|
|2011||Sheli Braun||Ottawa Jewish Community School|
|2013||Dina Blum||Chabad Hebrew School (Ottawa Torah Centre)|
|2015||Erin Gailor||Westboro Jewish Montessori Preschool (Jewish Youth Library)|
|2017||Gaby Scarowsky||NCSY and Torah High|