• 15 days vacation in first year prorated to your start date and FTE
• 10 days Personal Time Off prorated to your start date and FTE after 3 months of employment
• Various Jewish Holy days off
• Health and Dental Benefits plan
• Hybrid work environment
• Employer RRSP after one year of employment
• Use of gym facilities
• Flexible employer
Reporting to the Clinical Manager, the Counsellor will be responsible for the provision of culturally responsive counselling and mental health support services for refugees and newcomers. Using theoretically informed, and culturally responsive interventions, the Counsellor will support clients presenting with a wide variety of issues arising from their pre- and post- migration experiences.
The Counsellor will provide supports to help clients’ process loss, trauma, manage mental health concerns, and improve emotional well-being. The Counsellor will also provide crisis intervention and other supports to help clients’ access basic needs, navigate complex systems, create, and sustain social supports, and integrate into their communities.
Working on-site and in community, the Counsellor will work collaboratively with program staff to deliver services that support the successful settlement and integration of refugees and other new immigrants in Ottawa.
· Registration with OCSWSSW and OASW or CRPO or equivalent Professional Colleges that can perform the act of psychotherapy.
· Must be able to provide counselling in both English and Spanish.
· Fluency in other languages is an asset.
· Master of Social Work or Counselling (i.e. MSW, M.Ed.) with 2+ years of experience working in mental health and/or settlement
· Maintains professional liability insurance through the association
· Demonstrated experience working with diverse client populations
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with clients who have experienced trauma (Training in EMDR, NET, Trauma-Informed Psychotherapy, etc. is an asset)
· Specific knowledge / experience working with new Canadians, immigrants who have experienced war-related trauma, grief, loss, mild to moderate mental health issues, addictions, community conflict and issues related to family life, violence, poverty and stress.
· Solid understanding of pre- and post- migration issues
· Ability to incorporate immigrants' cultural preferences and healing practices into the counselling process
· Strong knowledge of the immigrant service sector, internal and external community resources
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team environment.
· Ability to work flexible hours according to program need.
· Willingness to work in a hybrid work model: work from the office at least one or two days a week and the reminder of the time from their home.
· Demonstrated experience and/or lived experience, knowledge and understanding of settlement issues that impact newcomer families and their children
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides crisis supports / counselling to clients
· Provides culturally responsive and language-specific direct service
· Provides advocacy and referrals to help clients access relevant community services and collaborates with other professionals (i.e., doctors, settlement workers and health-care professionals).
· Maintains and develops service partnerships and collaborative working relationships with community agencies, schools, courts, child welfare workers, to improve service delivery and enhance immigrant supports
· Ensures quality client care that is consistent with best practices, agency standards, and evidence-based approaches.
· Maintains necessary documentation and records.
· Participates in supervision, meetings, case conferences, workshops (including professional development opportunities)
· Performs related work as assigned.
Jewish Family Services of Ottawa supports equal opportunity employment. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Right Code. Applicants need to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting HRAdmin@jfsottawa.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree + Advanced Degree Required.