The dynamic and outgoing Student Life & Advocacy Coordinator implements Hillel's mission of building and sustaining vibrant, meaningful, and pluralistic Jewish life on Ottawa’s university and college campuses. They strategically divide their time between two key responsibilities, engaging Jewish students in exciting events and programs, and executing a proactive advocacy strategy.
Reporting to Hillel’s Director, this full-time permanent position is perfect for a self-motivated and highly organized individual seeking a challenging career that will provide on-the-job training, and experience in a variety of areas.
What you bring to the job:
• Exceptional relationship building and networking skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated involvement in student government, political organizing or active engagement in campus life, with an understanding and appreciation for campus dynamics.
• A friendly, welcoming disposition, with a passion for Jewish life, are a must!
What you’ll get out of it:
• Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace (more on this below).
• Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
• Flexible work hours.
• Practically unlimited paid coffee dates!
Key Job Components:
• Work collaboratively with student leadership, key partners and Hillel’s Director to create and execute a proactive advocacy strategy. This includes building strategic relationships with various stakeholders and clubs on campus, and collaborating with existing and potential allies on and off campus.
• Together with student leadership, coordinate and implement an array of programs and activities that promote and strengthen Israel advocacy on campus. Work collaboratively to ensure that advocacy activities are well coordinated with Hillel’s other activities, and mutually reinforcing.
• Prepare for, and respond effectively and strategically, to anti-Israel/antisemitic incidents on campus, in collaboration with Hillel’s primary partners.
Relationship Building & Networking
• Actively work at finding Jewish students and build relationships with them. Identify uninvolved/under-involved student populations and develop strategies for contacting and engaging them.
• Introduce people to each other, fostering stronger connections.
Program & Event Coordination
• Support student-initiated programs and serve as a Jewish resource to students and groups on campus.
• Develop interesting and engaging programs and events that reflect Jewish values and traditions and that will attract students.
• Ensure that all aspects of programming are functioning smoothly (publicity, logistics and program content) and are congruent with Hillel’s overall programmatic vision.
• Utilize social media and other platforms to connect to new people, and to promote the various Hillel activities.
• Must have a car.
• Strong leadership skills and ability to get things done.
• Relevant experience in planning programs and events, and engaging in campus life.
• Ability to work effectively within a team.
• Energized by a fast-paced schedule that includes various projects at once. Highly organized with strong planning, organizing and logistical skills.
• Bachelor’s degree or post-secondary certificate or diploma.
• Knowledge of Israel, Jewish values and traditions.
Hours: Full-Time at 35 hours per week. Must be available to work and attend meetings and events on evenings and weekends, as required.
Compensation & Benefits: Salary range: $42,000 - $46,000 based on experience. Medical and drug benefits package, a free JCC membership, and pension plan available after one-year’s service.
To Apply: Please send a resume to Sasha Kathron, Hillel Director at Sasha@hillelottawa.ca.
We are committed to the values and principles of employment equity. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please inform us of accommodations (i.e., technical aid, accessibility requirements, etc.) required at any stage of the assessment process, so that we can take the appropriate measures to facilitate your full participation.
Qualifications: Associate's Degree and 0-2 years of experience.